Science and technology are closely linked, each depending upon the other. Science involves acquiring knowledge through observation and experimentation, and technology applies scientific knowledge in practical ways. This Area of Learning and Experience capitalises on children and young people’s curiosity about our natural, physical world and universe though investigating, understanding, and explaining. They learn to generate and test ideas, gather evidence, make observations, carry out practical investigations, and communicate with others. They also learn how through computer science, the horizons of what is possible can be extended beyond our current imagination.
Science and Technology – Statements of what matters
- Being curious and searching for answers is essential to understanding and predicting phenomena.
- Design thinking and engineering offer technical and creative ways to meet society’s needs and wants.
- The world around us is full of living things which depend on each other for survival.
- Matter and the way it behaves defines our universe and shapes our lives.
- Forces and energy provide a foundation for understanding our universe.
- Computation is the foundation for our digital world.